After reading my last post I came to the conclusion that some people might assume that just because I'm not buying a curriculum this year I will not be teaching Math and Language Arts. The reason I am not buying one for Kindergarten is because Brenna is ahead of the typical Kindergarten level (not MY opinion - I have researched the things they do in Kinder) and is doing a lot of 1st grade level things. I am not starting a 1st grade curriculum because I don't think she is completely ready for that right now and like I said before, it would be very stressful for both of us. So we are kind of 'in between' right now which is what made me decided to not get either one this year.
Even though I am not purchasing a math textbook, for example, with worksheets and tests, does not mean that she will not learn any math this year. There are sooo many ways to teach things without the help of a textbook. Just having her help me cook and measure things teaches fractions; going to the grocery store and weighing fruit and/or sticking to a budget teaches math concepts that are way above Kindergarten level. When it comes to Language Arts, MadLibs (story telling game) helps teach nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives in a fun way - some of the stories you create are a hoot!
She is doing well with her reading and I feel that right now just reading books together is sufficient enough for a 5 year old. No need to make reading a chore or force her to learn more with a curriculum. If reading is pushed and not enjoyable then that could really turn her off to reading and this family has lots of bookworms so that would just be unacceptable! ha ha! :) We will be taking many trips to the library and checking out educational books as well as easy-to-read ones for her to practice.
I actually found a web site that really describes what I am wanting to do. If you have time and if you are interested then check it out - it's not very long at all. http://www.leapingfromthebox.com/art/kmg/kindergarten.html
Like I mentioned before, this year we just want to have fun learning and make our first year of homeschooling an enjoyable one.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Spear Team -
What a wonderful concept - teaching, excel, & learning all WITHOUT the use of BOOKS!! That is exactly what LIFE is all about. You all know that we will back you in all your adventures - anyone ready for some cookies? I need my "munchkin helper".
Hugs!
Grandma Dawnie :)
- - word of the weekend - -
summary - a short account of a story or book
(right down Brenna's alley; has everyone SEEN her book CASE??) :)
Post a Comment