Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What If?

Ok, so I am totally obsessing about this stupid Hurricane Gustav that is out in the Caribbean right now - I know it's a little pre-mature and probably for no good reason. I guess since we got hit by Hurricane Dolly I have now realized that we are not immune to a Katrina-type storm and that it really could happen. I just looked at the doppler radar and they do have it going more towards Louisiana now and that makes me feel a little better about our safety BUT you never know what these things are going to do - especially since it is still a ways out there. We will know more in the next couple of days.
Since we went through Dolly though I guess we realize a little more now exactly what these stinkin' hurricanes can do. Dolly, as a category 2, was very powerful! I could not even fathom a 3 or higher like Gustav will be.
I am a total weather-freak though and you will find me on the doppler when I hear a little bit of thunder or see a dark cloud looming overhead. I used to not be like that until I married my wonderful, paranoid husband. :) I guess you can say he has rubbed off on me a bit. LOL
For those who don't know me too well, I am a total list-maker and am pretty much lost without them. Since this hurricane has been threatening us I have been creating my "head list" as to what we would take IF we were to evacuate. That is a scary thing - evacuating your home that you have everything that you own inside of it. What would you take from your entire house that would fit inside the back of your car?? Of course, there are the obvious things like pictures and house deeds and insurance stuff but if you were to think, "I might never see any of this stuff again..." what would you take?? I have so many things in my house that really mean a lot to me. There are my Precious Moments - I don't have many BUT they all were bought for me at a certain point in my life - they have meaning; there's my stained glass lamp that I want to eventually be a heirloom. Yes, those are just examples and things that COULD be replaced but they are mine and things that mean a lot to me. Some of you are probably saying that they are just materialistic things and you are right. But look around your house and notice all of the things that have some sort of sentimental value to you and tell me how many things that you could fit in the back of a car?

No comments: