Today I finally got my garden in order and we now have greenery! YEAH! No more brown soil in empty boxes to look at. LOL I have some seedlings and I planted some seeds as well. Right now I have garlic, basil, thyme, tomatoes, yellow squash (seeds), zucchini squash (seeds), green peppers, sweet orange peppers and cucumbers (seeds). I still have a few empty spots and I'd like to plant some carrots, just because I think they would be fun for Brenna and she LOVES carrots! I did not plant any corn because there was no room but maybe tomorrow I'll get a wild hair and dig another ground bed for Brenna's corn. That is a lot of work though. It will more likely happen IF she helps me do it. So far I have not had much help from her. I told her that I better not be like The Little Red Hen and have her only help to EAT the fruits of my labor. She has promised to help me water as well as weed so we'll see what happens there. I'm very close to MAKING her do some good, hard manual labor. No quitting from her. It'll be good for her. LOL Maybe I will teach her a good lesson and NOT plant corn this year if she doesn't help. Maybe she'll want to help a little more next year if I do that. HAHA!
Tomorrow I will take some pictures of my garden boxes and post them. It will be fun to post them every week to see the progression IF I remember.
Today I said a little prayer after I planted everything. My Grandpa, who just passed away, was a master gardener and had a HUGE garden when I was a little kid (well, up until about 6 years ago). He grew THE BEST tomatoes, okra and green beans. I remember being a kid and going to my Grandma's house and eating his homegrown veggies. To this day fried green tomatoes remind me of him -- my Grandma made the best!!
I prayed and asked my Grandpa to please help me with my garden and to grow good, good vegetables. :) I'm sure I won't have plants as good as he did but maybe he'll lend a helping hand. I might have some good luck though because I did ask my Grandma if I could have this old wooden sign that he used to have in his garden that says, "Grandpa's Garden" and she said of course.
I really, really miss him A LOT.
Wish me happy gardening!! :)
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Brandi & Brenna ~
Papa Billy will be watching over y'all's garden - no second guessing about it! - He will (most likely) even have a say as to "when it will rain" -
The sign will be a great 'omen as well :)
Lovin' y'all!
mom, grandma & MIL
PS ~ Good hard work is great for the body (tho it will be sore the next day)
Brenna ~ (By the way),
My birthday is in August - I would love to have Grandpa BBQ for me and I would really enjoy having a sweet ear of corn from "your" garden - what do you think?
Love you!
Grandma
Hey Brandi ~
I am lovin' the new look to your blog :) It looks "fresh" and "new" Yea!!
Oh by the way - your garden is great - we have (about) 6 "baby" tomatoes - how about you? (haha!)
Hugs tuill later ~
Mom, aka: MIL & Grandma Dawnie
Post a Comment